Saturday, December 3, 2011

Stella!!!

I have decided to name my newly acquired motorcycle, Stella, in honor of one of my all time favorite Seinfeld clips. The clip presents Elaine, a little loopy from pain medication, meeting Jerry's Aunt Stella. Upon meeting Aunt Stella, Elaine begins to immediately yell out "Stella" in a deep throated voice. I just watched the clip and it makes me laugh every time. Random, I know, but that is what I came up with. I rode Stella for the first time on Tuesday and was instantly reminded of how much fun it is to ride motorcycles. I feel bad for those of you who don't ride, because you are missing out on one of the greatest joys in life. Riding here in Nairobi is definitely different than back in the States. When I hit a line of traffic, I just ride right by it instead of waiting in line. Why wait when it is perfectly acceptable to go to the front of the line? Stella isn't exactly like my Wee-Strom but she gets the job done. She actually has more power than I expected, seeing is how she is only a 185cc. With a little roll on the throttle she can easily pass any slow poke drivers. I look forward to many more adventures and quality time spent with Stella. (pictures of Stella below)

Happy December to everyone. It is hard to believe that Christmas is just around the corner. It is even more hard to believe when I am sitting here in shorts and a t-shirt on this 75 degree day. There also aren't as many decorations plastered everywhere reminding you what time of year it is. I'm listening to Christmas music as I type hoping that it will help induce more excitement within me for the upcoming holiday.

Random thoughts for the week:
- I'm happy to see that the NBA will indeed have a season this year. The league is way too popular right now for them to forgo an entire season.
- A torrential downpour last night caused flooding all around my apartment. There was a good foot of water in the driveway and in the back yard. The neighbor children certainly enjoyed the newly developed "pond" in the backyard. Once again an example of the poor drainage system here.
- For whatever reason, I've been more dedicated to jogging since I got here and I actually am enjoying it somewhat.
- I'm also reading and journaling, two things that before were nearly non-existent, especially the journaling. Who would have thought that reading books could be so enlightening?
- We only had one basketball practice this week. We got rained out on Thursday. (pictures of the boys below)
- The managers of the Guest House returned from their time in the States on Thursday night and I'm looking forward to hanging out with them and getting to know them better.
- I randomly started driving on the right side of the road the other night and was quickly reminded that that was the wrong side as I saw headlights coming directly at me. I quickly corrected the problem and returned to the left lane where I belonged.

With my new friend.

Stella

The Snow Leopards

The Panthers

The Spicy Wings

Team Aqua

1 comment: